The chemistry discipline of Northwest University (NWU) as the earliest center for cultivating chemistry talents in the western China, was originally founded in 1923. It was firstly named as Chemistry Department in 1937, and then College of Chemistry and Materials Science (CCMS) in 2008.
CCMS locates in Taibai campus of the NWU. CCMS’s facilities are mainly housed in the chemistry building and Science building，which are near 20,000 m2. Furthermore, the new chemistry building is constructing in Chang’an campus of the NWU, which will be approximately 30,000 m2. CCMS has a qualified faculty of over 93 full-time teachers and researchers, including 40 professors, 2 “academicians of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and the Chinese Academy of Engineering”, 3 “National distinguished teachers “, 2 “National experts with outstanding contribution”, 1 “The national seven ministries “talents” and 4 “Ministry of education of talents in the new century”. CCMS currently offers 4 undergraduate programs and 8 graduate programs, 7 PhD programs , and 1 post-doctoral program. At present, CCMS has an enrollment of 600 full-time undergraduate and 300 full-time graduate students.